Colossians 1:3-6 (NLT) We always pray for you, and we give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 4 For we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all of God’s people, 5 which come from your confident hope of what God has reserved for you in heaven. You have had this expectation ever since you first heard the truth of the Good News. 6 This same Good News that came to you is going out all over the world. It is bearing fruit everywhere by changing lives, just as it changed your lives from the day you first heard and understood the truth about GOD’S WONDERFUL GRACE
Faith is a grace by which the people of God do exploits! The Bible definition of faith. Hebrews 11:1 (ESV) Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. This Scripture is followed by many examples of real, God given faith, every one of them connected with God saying something. Romans 10:17 (ESV) So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. NEB “faith is activated by the message.” IF YOU WANT FAITH YOU MUST HEAR FROM GOD! Only some have ears capable of hearing and understanding God’s word.
- Too many Christians know about God, but they don’t really KNOW Him. That is why they so often appear powerless. That is NOT the way it is supposed to be! Daniel 11:32 (NKJV) Those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits. Every Christian has faith within them laying dormant until it is activated by God saying something. When given an utterance you can move mountains.
- David heard about Baal-perazim when he asked God what to do. 2 Samuel 5:17-21 (ESV) When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. But David heard of it and went down to the stronghold. 18 Now the Philistines had come and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 19 AND DAVID INQUIRED OF THE LORD, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” AND THE LORD SAID TO DAVID, “GO UP, FOR I WILL CERTAINLY GIVE THE PHILISTINES INTO YOUR HAND.” 20 And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “THE LORD HAS BROKEN THROUGH MY ENEMIES BEFORE ME LIKE A BREAKING FLOOD.” Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim. 21 AND THE PHILISTINES LEFT THEIR IDOLS THERE, AND DAVID AND HIS MEN CARRIED THEM AWAY. It is better to inquire of the Lord than to tell Him what to do for us.
- Paul’s prayer for every Christian was that they would be enlightened with knowledge and wisdom about what was available to them. Ephesians 1:15-20 (ESV) For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, 16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, MAY GIVE YOU THE SPIRIT OF WISDOM AND OF REVELATION IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM, 18 HAVING THE EYES OF YOUR HEARTS ENLIGHTENED, THAT YOU MAY KNOW WHAT IS THE HOPE TO WHICH HE HAS CALLED YOU, WHAT ARE THE RICHES OF HIS GLORIOUS INHERITANCE IN THE SAINTS, 19 AND WHAT IS THE IMMEASURABLE GREATNESS OF HIS POWER TOWARD US WHO BELIEVE, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, He overcame death, hell and the grave. All the forces of Hell were against His raising from the dead, but they could not stop it!
- All the help you need is there for the asking! Matthew 7:7-11 (ESV) Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
- Calling out to God is the method we are to use to ask Him for a word from Heaven. Jeremiah 33:3 (ESV) Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.
- The word of God is the primary means God uses to transmit grace and faith to His people. Psalms 119:18 (ESV) Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
- Psalms 119:97-100 (ESV) Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. 98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.
- Psalms 119:105 (ESV) Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- Psalms 119:162 (ESV) I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil. Reading these verses should make you hungry for the Word of God. Do your daily Bible reading. If you do read your Bible regularly God will speak to you and straighten you out.
- Praying in the Holy Spirit puts you in close contact with the Giver of Words. Pray that you may interpret. Jude 1:20-21 (ESV) But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. Praying in the Holy Ghost is powerful because it puts you on the same wavelength as God.
- 1 Corinthians 14:4 (ESV) The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.
- 1 Corinthians 14:13-14 (ESV) Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.
This is not too hard, but you must DO IT! Deuteronomy 30:11-14 (ESV) For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ 14 BUT THE WORD IS VERY NEAR YOU. IT IS IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART, SO THAT YOU CAN DO IT. It is not too hard – read the Word of God every day and go to it with expectation.