Published on August 1, 2017
The Learning Point
Romans 12:1-2 (NLT) And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person BY CHANGING THE WAY YOU THINK. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Your soul is the vehicle through which your life is expressed to the world. It is the “filter” through which your life (spirit man) and faith must flow. If you have a defect in your soul, you will have a problem. God is willing to work with you. The grace of God will change you.
The good news is we have supernatural ability in God to change the soul. 2 Corinthians 10:3-6 (ESV) For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 6 being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete. Dieting is an example. You might make a decision, but willpower is not good enough. You need to change the way you think. Godpower.
- 3 John 1:2-4 (NKJV) Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 3 For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of THE TRUTH THAT IS IN YOU, just as YOU WALK IN THE TRUTH. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that MY CHILDREN WALK IN TRUTH. You will prosper in life as your soul prospers and changes your walk from carnal to Spirit led. And your soul will prosper or not prosper according the “education” it receives. The good news is that your soul is “pliable” (like “urban renewal) so that whatever is in it can be removed and replaced with something else. It is changeable – you want the Word of God to impact your soul. The work won’t be completed until you are dead. In the meantime you are undergoing constant upgrading.
- Proverbs 4:20-22 (ESV) My son, be attentive to my WORDS; incline your ear to my SAYINGS. 21 Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. 22 FOR THEY ARE LIFE TO THOSE WHO FIND THEM, AND HEALING TO ALL THEIR FLESH. Learning is designed to impact and mark your soul and shape your life and expectations. That’s why the TEACHER and the TEACHING MATERIAL is so important.
There are 2 main methods to teach the soul, repetition (rote, experiences) or trauma (“Don’t touch the stove!”). God designed this system! Too often we are distracted and lose focus on our education process and remain stagnant instead of growing!
- “What shall we do!” Learning is greatly affected by your attitude and circumstances. In other words there are times when you receive learning better than other times. Acts 2:36-39 (ESV) Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” 37 Now when they heard this THEY WERE CUT TO THE HEART, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “BROTHERS, WHAT SHALL WE DO?” 38 And Peter said to them, “REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED EVERY ONE OF YOU in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
- Acts 27:9-26 (ESV) Since much time had passed, and the voyage was now dangerous because even the Fast was already over, Paul advised them, 10 saying, “Sirs, I perceive that the voyage will be with injury and much loss, not only of the cargo and the ship, but also of our lives.” 11 But the centurion paid more attention to the pilot and to the owner of the ship than to what Paul said. 12 And because the harbor was not suitable to spend the winter in, the majority decided to put out to sea from there, on the chance that somehow they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete, facing both southwest and northwest, and spend the winter there. 13Now when the south wind blew gently, supposing that they had obtained their purpose, they weighed anchor and sailed along Crete, close to the shore. 14 But soon a tempestuous wind, called the northeaster, struck down from the land. 15 And when the ship was caught and could not face the wind, we gave way to it and were driven along. 16 Running under the lee of a small island called Cauda, we managed with difficulty to secure the ship’s boat. 17 After hoisting it up, they used supports to undergird the ship. Then, fearing that they would run aground on the Syrtis, they lowered the gear, and thus they were driven along. 18 Since we were violently storm-tossed, they began the next day to jettison the cargo. 19 And on the third day they threw the ship’s tackle overboard with their own hands. 20 When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest lay on us, ALL HOPE OF OUR BEING SAVED WAS AT LAST ABANDONED. 21 Since they had been without food for a long time, Paul stood up among them and said, “Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and incurred this injury and loss. 22 Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. 23 For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, 24 and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’ 25 So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. 26 But we must run aground on some island.” They didn’t listen until all hope was gone! This was a learning point or “teachable moment.” It was then that they were ready to “take heart” and receive hope. WHEN THE STUDENT IS READY THE TEACHER WILL APPEAR!
- Again this system of learning was designed by God to lead men to Him in their darkest hour to receive help and deliverance. No matter how bad it is, the answer to the problem is found in God! He is the solution to any problem you have! If you don’t listen, God will still get you there, but the journey will be harder.
- Psalms 23:1-6 (ESV) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 3 HE RESTORES MY SOUL. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. ”He restores your soul!” Whether you humble yourself or are humbled or oppressed God can and will lift you up when you come to Him.
- John 10:10-11 (ESV) The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. Jesus came to set the captives free! The glory of God is to set men free.
- Jeremiah 29:13 (ESV) You will seek me and find me, WHEN YOU SEEK ME WITH ALL YOUR HEART. All your heart is spirit and soul. When you seek him with BOTH you will find Him. Pray in the Holy Ghost!